CHURCH OF NUESTRA SEÑORA DE LA MAYOR
WITNESS THE JOY AND SORROW OF MACHADO
It was built on the Romanesque church of San Gil S. XII of which the portal preserved, the apsidiole next to the epistle, a grave and part of the tower. In the sixteenth century the council met here while works on the Collegiate baptized with the name of Our Lady of La Mayor. In that century was rebuilt much of the temple although the great transformation came in the nineteenth century, when threatening ruin the three naves were reformed.
Three naves, the sides have barrel vaults, but made imitating the original style. The apse has ribbed vault.
Mudejar grave and crucifix of the 13th century in the walnut choir built in the sixteenth century for the council are conserved.
It is worth mentioning the central or main altarpiece, plateresque and work of Francisco de Agreda (1571) belonging to the school of Juan de Juni.
The cover, on the south wall, is composed of three splayed archivolts on capitals decorated.
The tower is also from the original building, square and low height. In the bell tower of the high-medieval era, old bell of San Gil era, it is engraved with the oldest Soria shield conserved.
The outside of the building has been long hidden by several more recent constructions, until the adjacent houses to the temple, from the 19th century, were demolished in 2006, allowing us today to appreciate the late Gothic apse and the Romanesque remains of the original central nave.
Finally, it is important to mention, next to the facade of the church, the place known as "Rincón de Leonor", the bronze sculpture (Ricardo Gonzalez Gil, 2012) representing Leonor Izquierdo Cuevas, dressed according to the time,whon on 30th July 1909, celebrated her wedding with Antonio Machado in this church where equally and three years later was celebrated his funeral, after passing away as a result of tuberculosis.