RUINS OF SAN NICOLÁS
ROMNESQUE SKELETON IN THE HEART OF THE ANCIENT CITY
It was a Romanesque church in the heart of the old town, built in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, with many similarities to San Juan de Rabanera and sielense character that has survived to this day in the form of ruins allowing us to see the radiograph of its Romanesque structure. The origin of this church is known only among the primitive parishes in the census of 1270 of Alfonso the Wise. In 1858, given the poor state of the temple, the roof was removed and the altarpiece of the main church of the Hospital and former convent of San Francisco took altar. In 1908 he was transferred its cover to the main façade of San Juan de Rabanera and was declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument in 1962.
Originally it was a church of Latin cross, a single ship, with pointed barrel vault. the remains of one of the chapels with murals protogothic alluding to the murder of the Archbishop of Canterbury, St. Thomas Becket are preserved.
Between 2009 and 2011 the restoration work, conservation and enhancement resulting in a space currently used as open-air auditorium for concerts and other activities.