WHERE ART AND NATURE MERGE
Tradition says that on the 6th century the sorian noble Saturio, after the decease of his parents, shared his wealth out with the poor and moved to some caves next to river Duero.
There, in a sober and mystic prayer place, honouring Saint Michel the Archangel, he would live hermetically for thirty years. The first data showing the existence of a Saint Michael's prayer place, later called San Saturio, date from 1148.
Lately, some repair was done and due to its collapse, in 1694 the City of Soria decided to rebuild a church with a new floor plan with the agreement of all the neighbours, hanged on the rocks by river Duero which together with the rich landscapes turns it into and incomparable spot. The construction was committed to Julian and Domingo Izaguirre under the supervision of Juan Antonio Zapata, responsible for the interior paintings. The building works finished in 1704. Several were the miracles attributed to the later patron of Soria.
According to the legend, when Saturio saw a young man coming, named Prudencio who wanted to cross the river swimming, he advised him of the dangers it implied. Everyone supposed that he would drown because of the current but the young man arrived safe and sound to the other side, with its clothes dry he passed on San Saturio's cape, who embraced him as his disciple and instructed him until hid death.
It was Prudencio who buried him and promoted the believe on the Saint. It's memories didn't get lost, and on the last quarter of the 16th century his rests were found, the ones that nowadays rest in the main altar of the hermitage. Devotion towards the hermit grew getting to the point that a hermitage was built on his honour and he was named the patron saint of the city, by popular acclamation in 1743, worship and patronage officially ratified by Pope Benedict XIV in 1743. Its festivity is celebrated on the 2nd of October.
The ensemble is formed by some natural grotto above which a building for religious purposes was built. It counts with different rooms:
Cabildo de los Heros Roomformerly used for the farmers brotherhood meeting. A black effigy of the saint of the end of the 19th century presides the room, to which the handicapped used to pray due to the difficulty to access the mail chapel. Saint Michel Chapel, through which you get to the stained glass narrating another miracle attributed to San Saturio, about a child who fell to the river from that window resulting unharmed thanks to his intervention.
Panels with information about the hermitage can be seen as well as a selection of the capes San Saturio's bust wears in solemn occasions.
The Saint's Houserecreates his way of life at the end of the 19th century. Council andLos Canónigos Room from which you can admire the wonderful views of river Duero and express the souvenir of your visit on the visitor's book. Sacristyon which the oldest piece of the hermitage is conserved, a Gothic style carving representing crucified Christ.
It is now integrated in a Baroque altarpiece from 1732 made by Ignacio Ibáñez, Antonio Mateo and Domingo José Romero in non-multicoloured walnut.
Has an octogonal central floor plan. The Baroque altarpiece, profusely decorated, hosts a reliquary bust with his rests. The vault, dome and walls are decorated with frescos, by the most outstanding sorian baroque painter Juan Zapata Ferrer, Antonio Palomino's disciple.
|From Tuesday to Saturday.from 10.30 to 14.00 h. and from 16.30 to 18.30*/19.30**/20.30**** 1st January to 31st March and 1st November to 31st December
** 01 Abril a 30 June and 1st September to 31st October
(Access won't be permitted the last 15 minutes before closing)
|975 180 703|
|"Route River Duero"|